Thursday, September 10, 2020

Human BSOD and a personal reboot

 There is a interesting concept called Post Traumatic Survival.  I first heard of it in a TEDTalk by Jane McGonigal.  My last blog post was over 4 years ago.  I survived and did not expect to.  I have some of the resilience ability she talks about but I don't feel like someone who jumps back after a set of disasters quickly.  Otoh, I am still here and still an active concern in some small communities online.

I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in May 2017 and had surgery 2 weeks later.  As a pocket scientist, I did a lot of research, talked with my surgeon and doctor, and made plans to do end of life care within the next year or two.  I looked at my palliative options, got information on personal directives, and told my two kids the truth.  The statistics are quite nightmarish.  It's an extremely lethal form of cancer.  Then the strangest thing happened.  My scans came back clean 8 months later.  There's a strange thing involved there.  I accepted and came to terms with my death coming soon but it didn't.  I've been somewhat parked both intellectually and emotionally since then.  The hardest thing after that has been to define a future for myself.  Restarting this blog is one of those steps.  I dreamed of doing more writing as far back as some stories I wrote back on Compuserve in the 90's with a semi pro online writing club.  Here is to more of that.

With the motivation of some online friends, I plan to write some more on gaming, gamer culture and specifically how to play hard core strategy games.  Come on back and see what comes next.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome to see you back Don! I see this as a very positive indicator of your overall well-being.

    Pound that keyboard! ;)

    c.

    ReplyDelete